LGBT Youth: From Trauma to Belonging was designed for professionals working in schools and organizations that serve children and adolescents identifying with the LGBT+ community. This course provides information related to working with LGBT+ young people. Topics include rejection experienced by LGBT+ youth, the “crisis of belonging” experienced by LGBT+ youth, the trauma of rejection and its effects, using “The Five Shifts” to connect with and understand fellow members of the human family, The Oneness of Humankind and various other skills, tools and tips for being an ally to LGBT+ young people. You will leave this course armed with the knowledge and tools you will need.
The course consists of video segments of a live presentation by Derek Allen and a test.
- Understand the ways LGBT youth experience rejection in their homes, communities and schools.
- Understand the impact of rejection and the "crisis of belonging" on LGBT young people
- Understand how rejection, internalized homophobia, etc. traumatizes LGBT youth and how this impacts their health and well-being.
- Know how to utilize the 'Five-Shifts' to connect with and understand fellow members of the human family.
- Identify strategies one can use to be an LGBT student ally and create safe learning environments for them.
About Online courses