Make Your Homecoming More Enjoyable
Sheri and Bob Stritof at http://marriage.about.com/cs/militarymarriages/qt/homecoming.htm
- Reunion time with your military spouse can be both a great experience and also one that creates problems in your marriage. Here are some tips to make the homecoming easier and more enjoyable.
- Go slowly —- don't try to make up for lost time.
- Accept that things may be different.
- Talk with each other about your experiences.
- Take time to become reacquainted.
- Accept that your partner may be different.
- Remember that your intimate relationship may be awkward at first.
- Tone down your fantasies — reality may be quite different.
- Communicate openly with your partner and family.
- Reassure your children — change often frightens them.
- Plan on family activities, but be flexible.
- Set aside quality time with each of your children.
- Plan for visits from your extended family.