Since 1913, Starr Commonwealth has been dedicated to the mission of creating positive environments where children and families flourish.
Starr Commonwealth is internationally recognized as a leader in transformational programs for children, families, schools and communities.
Starr continues to believe as our founder did in 1913: "There's no such thing as a bad child."
Our community-based programs, residential treatment services, educational services and professional training represent the international standard of excellence in identifying, treating and healing trauma and pain-based behavior and building resiliency in children and adolescents.
Our work and why we do it
Why: Our motivation
Every member of Starr Commonwealth has a deep desire to see children and families succeed and grow. We’ve spent decades building and refining our strength-based approach to treating troubled youth.
How: What we do
Starr Commonwealth serves thousands of children, adults, families and communities around the country through community-based early intervention and preventative services, specialized residential programs, and education services. Our training programs and conferences equip professionals from around the world, advancing our vision of actively engaging with communities worldwide to develop the greatness in every child.
From our Albion, Mich., headquarters to our other locations throughout Michigan, Starr Commonwealth welcomes families from all over the world. To date we’ve impacted the lives of children from all 50 states and more than 55 countries. Visit a location
You can help children thrive
Your gift will help children and families reach their potential. Your gift will help children through proven, strength-based programs. Giving is easy. Simply click the button below to give a gift and bring help and hope to children and their families.
A long legacy of care
In 1913, a young man named Floyd Starr purchased a ramshackle barn and 40 scrub-covered acres in Albion, Mich., and began what would eventually become a highly respected child and family charities. Floyd Starr founded Starr Commonwealth as a refuge for "homeless, dependent, neglected and delinquent boys."
For 100 years, Starr has strived to change lives, one kid at a time.
Today, Starr Commonwealth operates for children, adults and families throughout Michigan and nationwide, while Starr training programs reach parents, caregivers and professionals around the world. Starr believes, as did its founder, that when you treat a child with dignity and respect, it changes a child’s heart. And that, in the end, is what changes a child’s life. It’s a powerful story.
Powerful people have been drawn to Starr Commonwealth over the years to tell our story, including Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Henry Winkler, Helen Keller, Carl Sandburg, George Washington Carver and Alex Haley, to name a few.
Our Pledge To You
Qualified and Certified
Starr Commonwealth has always understood the importance of effective collaborations. Our leadership position is maintained through licensure, accreditation and strategic alliance with national childcare and service organizations, as well as specific trade and business affiliations.
- Michigan Department of Education
- Michigan Department of Human Services
- Ohio Department of Job & Family Services
Associations and Memberships
- Alliance for Strong Families and Communities
- American Association of Children's Residential Centers
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- American Psychological Association
- Association for Experiential Education
- Association for Information Technology Professionals
- Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Independent Educational Consultants Association
- International Association for Social Educators
- Institute of Management Accountants
- Michigan Archival Association
- Michigan Federation for Children and Families
- Michigan Nonprofit Association
- Michigan Psychological Association
- National Association for Children's Behavioral Health
- National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs
- National Black Child Development Institute
- Ohio Association of Child Caring Agencies
- Ohio Family Care Association
- Public Relations Society of America
- Society for Human Resource Management
Every dollar donated to Starr Commonwealth is a special gift from someone who loves children and wants to make their world a little bit better. We're committed to using every donation in an efficient and responsible way. Learn more about financial accountability at Starr Commonwealth.