Private Therapeutic Boarding School
For more information on Montcalm School for Boys and Girls, a private therapeutic boarding school of Starr Commonwealth, please visit www.montcalmschool.org or call 866.244.4321.
As a private therapeutic boarding school, Montcalm services are provided to students in need of individualized treatment and academic plans. These plans identify the primary goals of the family, student and treatment team to help ensure long-term student success. Services within the plan include group, counseling, family sessions, fine arts, therapeutic recreational activities, service learning projects and more. Our 24-hour treatment milieu addresses problems as they arise throughout the entire day, not just in counseling sessions.
Individual therapy and occupational therapy in our new Sensory Integration Room are offered when identified as necessary.
We specialize in working with boys, ages 12-21, and girls, ages 12-18, throughout four different programs. All students placed in Montcalm have experienced some level of emotional and behavioral difficulties.
Our treatment philosophy is rooted in seeing what's possible, not what's wrong. We see the strengths in every child and believe in the goodness each possesses. We use the power of a positive peer group to create an environment that encourages dignity, self-esteem and mutual support and respect. Our treatment teams utilize several modalities to assist our students in learning problem solving and decision making skills, as well emotional and behavioral regulation. Our students not only take their journeys through Montcalm, but find their way back to their families, where peace, trust and healthy relations are once again restored.
Our programs are:
Common diagnoses or presenting challenges:
- Anxiety disorders (generalized, PTSD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Mood disorders (bipolar, depression)
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder
- Reactive Attachment Disorder
- Dual diagnoses, such as those with secondary diagnosis of substance abuse
- Family issues (Adoption, attachment, authority, family conflict)
- Behavioral issues (anger management, self-harming, entitlement, impulsivity, low self-esteem, lying)
- Executive functioning issues
- Learning disabilities
- Low motivation
- Nonverbal learning disorder
- Processing issues
- School problems
- Sensory integration issues
If you would like to speak with a Montcalm Admissions Specialist, please call 866.244.4321.